Class of 2014 Profile: Amy Stamm’s Career Blasts Off at Air and Space Museum

Posted on June 30, 2014.

Name: Amy Stamm

Major: Stamm graduated with a B.A. in Strategic Communication on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Stamm accepted a position as a Public Affairs Specialist at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

How HPU helped you get there: “I was an intern at the National Air and Space Museum last summer and was able to use what I’d learned in my public relations classes to pitch stories to newspapers around the country. Additionally, the comprehensive education I had received at HPU gave me the confidence to speak up during meetings and contribute to the projects occuring in the communication office. It is because of my performance during my internship last summer that I had the opportunity to return to NASM after graduation, so I am grateful to HPU for preparing me for success.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “HPU, especially the Qubein School of Communication, has so many amazing professors that it’s honestly hard to choose just one. So, I’ll have to share two. Dr Virginia McDermott is an amazing professor who is dedicated to her students. Ginny’s class, which was one of the most challenging classes I took at HPU, was subsequently one of the most rewarding because she pushed me to be the best student I possibly could and reinvigorated my love of academia. Professor Phil Watson also shaped my HPU education through the four courses I took with him. What I learned from Professor Watson extends beyond just his class syllabi: he truly cares about his students and was always available to give advice or just tell it like it is. I’m extremely grateful for all of the guidance and support he has given me over the years.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The capstone Campaigns course that I took my final semester at HPU was extremely impactful to me because working with an actual client, the High Point Community Foundation, to create a strategy for their unrestricted fund was a very “real world” situation. It further confirmed that public relations is what I want to do in my career. I especially enjoyed presenting our final campaign to the HPCF, feeding off their energy, reading their non-verbal communication cues and adjusting the presentation as necessary. It was a combination of all the things I loved most about my studies at HPU, and my team’s hard work paid off–the client chose our campaign as the winner.”

Monica Johnson
HPU Graduate Publishes Research on Apologies and Forgiveness
Freshman Student Success
Students Collect 256 Pounds of Food for Children in the Triad
HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas