Class of 2014 Profile: Casey Hiers Hired by Financial Firm

06.26.2014

Name: Casey Hiers

Major: Hiers graduated with a B.S.B.A in Accounting, with a minor in Computer Science, on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Hiers accepted a position as a Tax Accountant at DDS Financial in Atlanta. He will also be working towards receiving his Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation, and hopes to be completely certified next year.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU provided me opportunities to learn outside the classroom in more ‘everyday’ situations. Working for the Office of Admissions as an University Ambassador, I developed my ability to connect with people. I was able to share my experience with, and love for, High Point on each and every tour. Through that, I learned sales techniques without even realizing it and have been able to put those to use in my internships and now in my career. I also had to opportunity to serve as both the Grand Treasurer and Philanthropy Chair of my fraternity, Kappa Sigma. Through these positions I learned to manage and work with many different types of people to create success. Under my direction as Philanthropy Chair with the help of my committee we were decorated for the ‘Most Innovative Service Project’ at the Service Learning Showcase. Lastly, serving as the Treasurer for the Student Government Association I developed my sense of being a civil servant. One of the most rewarding experiences was helping various clubs and organizations and then watching them succeed.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “First is one of my accounting professors, Scott Davis. In Professor Davis’ tax classes I was often overwhelmed at the complexity and difficultly of the returns he would give us but I always seemed to work through them. He taught me to be confident in myself and my abilities. On top of all the tax I learned, Professor Davis took time to develop us as professionals. Part of our senior seminar class, Accounting Issues, was spent developing our professional selves and learning our strengths and weakness and how to capitalize on them. With help from Bridget Holcombe, Professor Davis gave us confidence in ourselves when walking into interviews and new jobs.

On one interview I remember being asked by a managing partner of a firm ‘What is it with you High Point students? You are different.’ A number of my peers had also interviewed with the same firm and the managing partner complimented us on our ‘soft skills’ saying that we stood out against the other schools in the area both big and small.

The second professor is, Roger Shore, my Computer Science professor. Computers have always been an interest of mine and Professor Shore gave me an outlet to pursue that interest. More importantly, Professor Shore taught me to think creatively about problems and learn to solve them both effective and efficiently. This has been one of my most used skills both in and out of computer science and can be applied in all aspects of life. Professor Shore is one of the most dedicated professors I’ve known, often spending late nights and early mornings with students working on projects both in and out of the classroom.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment for me at High Point University is two fold. First, at this most recent Honors Day, watching my friends receive countless awards I came to the realization that they, as much as anyone else, are a factor in my success at High Point and beyond. President Qubein surrounds us with beauty and greatness in the hopes that when we leave High Point we will strive to be great, but there is one thing that President Qubein cannot do for us, and that is pick our friends. People say ‘You become who you surround yourself with,’ and sitting in my seat that day I realized I had done just that. This was reaffirmed for me after the Baccalaureate. While outside with my parents, Dr. Carroll personally came up and told my parents how great my friends and I are. Being able to see how proud they were solidified that I had surrounded myself with the best and become the best High Point student I could because of them.”

Sep
      20

13

Bill Cosby
    Bill Cosby Joins HPU’s National Board of Advisors
    Lauryn Polo
    Class of 2014 Profile: Lauryn Polo Pursues M.A. in Writing
    SOE Reading Institute 1
    Students Wrap Up Reading Institute with Books and Skills for the Future