Class of 2014 Profile: Cecilie Holm Embarks on Education Career

06.6.2014

Name: Cecilie Holm

Major: Holm graduated with a B.A. in Elementary Education, with a minor in Spanish, on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Holm accepted a position teaching second grade at Maureen Joy Charter School in Durham.

How HPU helped you get there: “The School of Education at HPU is special because it provides students with service learning opportunities and field placements throughout all four years in the program. I had the chance to work with children and teachers from a variety of backgrounds, which helped to mold me into a leader in and out of the classroom.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “Dr. Debbie Albert and Dr. William Carpenter both had a significant impact on me. Dr. Albert helped me grow as an educator and was readily available to offer encouragement and guidance with her positive attitude and sense of humor. Dr. Carpenter challenged me to become a stronger writer and critical thinker during my freshman year seminar, Bob Dylan’s America. I aspire to have an impact on my second-grade students, just like Dr. Albert and Dr. Carpenter had on me!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “During my junior year at HPU, I had the opportunity to complete an 80 hour internship in a 5th grade Spanish immersion classroom at a local elementary school. As an Education student with a minor in Spanish, it was the perfect chance for me to combine both my fields of study. It was my first experience working with older students and I also learned a great deal of new Spanish vocabulary when I taught the students about Newton’s Laws of Motion!”

08

22

Psychology, HPU, Relationship Research, Sadie Leder
    Professor Authors Chapter in New Book for Aspiring Psychology Professors
    Sharon Love
    HPU to Host Mother of Slain UVA Student for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
    Junior Michelle Palombi informs buyers about products at Designmaster Furniture during the fall High Point Market.
    Industry Exposé: Students Work at High Point Market