Class of 2014 Profile: Eric Sommermann Accepts Accounting Position in Charlotte

06.20.2014

Name: Eric Sommermann

Major: Sommermann graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Accounting, with a minor in Finance, on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Sommermann accepted a tax position with KPMG, a financial services firm, in Charlotte.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped reinforce my aspiration to pursue a career in accounting. With the extraordinary buildings and 1924 PRIME, I was able to prepare myself to go into different accounting firms and promote myself during interviews and feel comfortable. During the campus tours, the HPU Ambassadors walk into the Wilson Commerce building and talk about the grand lobby and how it makes you feel more comfortable when going in for a job interview. This was absolutely true for me.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “My most impactful professor would have to be Professor Davis. He taught his classes in a way that made it seem like we were in a job setting. He was there to give feedback, but always made you think outside the box. If he did not respond to a statement you made with ‘Why are you doing that?’, then you knew that you were doing something wrong. He was the professor that truly got me interested in pursuing a career in taxation.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment was meeting with Bridget Holcombe before my interview with KPMG. I had been on several interviews prior to meeting with her and had not been successful in finding employment. After meeting with Bridget, she was able to coach me through my interviews into telling more important stories and to not get so serious when I answer questions. I needed to come up with good stories and really look at everything that I have accomplished throughout my life and Bridget was able to pull things out that I did not realize were interview-worthy. After two weeks of interview practices, I interviewed at KPMG and accepted a full-time tax position.”

Sep
      20

13

Chanler Brock
    Communication Major Assists Nonprofits Through Internship
    Roberts Hall
    Belk and LabCorp CEOs Join HPU’s Board of Advisors
    HPU Montlieu Welcome Back 1
    Pep Band, Cheerleaders and Prowler Welcome Montlieu Academy Students