Class of 2014 Profile: Jordan Coakley Joins Admissions Team at HPU

06.19.2014

Name: Jordan Coakley

Major: Coakley graduated with a B.A. in English on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Coakley accepted a position as an Admissions Counselor for West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio and Western Pennsylvania at HPU.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University offers this amazing holistic experience. Everything about this institution has helped me grow personally, academically and professionally. For me, the mentorship of my professors and other leaders/professionals on campus have not only shaped me into the kind of graduate I’d hoped to be, but mentored me through finding a job and taking the first steps in perusing other hopeful future career goals.  High Point captured my heart up front. I couldn’t even imagine leaving. I’ve always said that the people at HPU were my favorite part. Everyone is so welcoming and so invested in my future. I wanted to be a part of that for future students. I wanted to be a part of this leadership and this family of people who work tirelessly to help give our students the best kind of holistic education experience. High Point did that for me. I’m honored to be able to now be on the other side.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “Dr. Holly Middleton was my most impactful professor—hands down. Her commitment to my education, and that of my peers was absolutely phenomenal. I’ve said before, but she created this kind of environment where I was unafraid to fail, where it was not even about success or failure anymore, but about getting the most out of my educational experience in her classroom. She made me believe that not only could I be a writer, but that I was one. She even mentored me through projects for other classes, preparing for interviews, absolutely everything. I admire her professionalism, her investment, her intelligence, so much and her kind heart above all else. I am so grateful for her mentorship. She as easily been the most influential part of my HPU experience.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Gosh, my most impactful experience? Just one?! I would normally just answer this question with that the people were the most influential part. Honestly, the time I spent with Dr. Middleton, in her classroom but also just in her office or over coffee taught me more about school and life than anything else. But on graduation day, I got to go and see her after I walked. I went running up to give her the biggest hug ever and thank her. I just kept thanking her over and over because I was so grateful for this experience, for everything she had done for me. She even got to meet my parents! That was SUCH a cool moment for me. It really allowed my parents this unique snapshot of my love for High Point, and how deeply it has impacted and shaped who I’ve become.”

08

22

Sharon Love
    HPU to Host Mother of Slain UVA Student for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
    Junior Michelle Palombi informs buyers about products at Designmaster Furniture during the fall High Point Market.
    Industry Exposé: HPU Students Work at High Point Market
    Greensboro Symphony at HPU
    Greensboro Symphony to Present Beethoven’s “Eroica” at HPU