Seventeen Magazine Selects HPU Student as Web Intern

06.9.2014

HIGH POINT, N.C., June 9, 2014 – High Point University rising senior Jodi Guglielmi is getting a taste of her dream job in New York City, thanks to an internship she secured with Seventeen Magazine.

Guglielmi, a communication major and native of Orlando, Fl., was selected to serve as a Web Intern for Seventeen.com, where she is largely responsible for content management. Working closely with the editors, she has the opportunity to pitch story ideas for the website and assist with article research. Guglielmi has many responsibilities, she says, which shows she is a valued member of the team at Seventeen.

Her coursework at HPU not only prepared her for the workload at Seventeen, but it also helped her during the interview process.

“My supervisor loved that I had taken classes such as Mediated Communications that gave me experience in Photoshop and video editing, and Multimedia Storytelling which gave me a better understanding of how to make your voice carry from print to online,” she says.

Guglielmi credits two professors at HPU who served as mentors and helped her secure the Web Intern position.

“Dr. Nahed Eltantawy helped me understand some of the editing language that I needed to use for the edit test as part of my interviewing process,” Guglielmi says. “She has also been my primary journalism professor throughout my time at HPU, so a lot of my writing style and overall growth has come from her instruction. Dr. Bobby Hayes has not only served as an instructor and advisor to me, but as a mentor at HPU as well. He has been extremely influential in the path I have decided to take within journalism and he is my number one supporter at HPU.”

Already, Guglielmi has learned valuable lessons in time management, coding and producing quality, deadline-driven work. She has also discovered her passion for online journalism – a path she intends to pursue after graduation.

“I would love to continue down this path and get hired as an Entertainment Editor for the online branch of a popular magazine,” she adds. “Eventually I would love to work my way up to Deputy Web Editor. In fact, even after just a few weeks at Seventeen.com, I would love to work here after graduation!”

Sep
      20

13

Chile Telescope 1
    Physics Students Study Stars at Chile Observatory
    Physician Assistant Studies
    Preparing Students for Health Care Careers of Tomorrow
    Carolina's Diner
    Carolina’s Diner Painted HPU Purple