Class of 2014 Profile: Chelsea Consalo Leads at Family Company

07.2.2014

Name: Chelsea Consalo

Major: Consalo graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and a minor in Finance on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Consalo accepted a position as the Director of Food Safety and Brand Management at The Fresh Wave Fruit and Produce, a fourth generation family-owned company in Vineland, N.J. After receiving other offers and opportunities for post graduation jobs, she made the decision to begin her time after college in her family’s business.

How HPU helped you get there: “I credit High Point University for preparing me for this job. Even as the youngest employee at The Fresh Wave, I have been able to bring fresh ideas, a dedicated attitude and diligence to the table. The faculty and staff of High Point taught me to be confident in myself, and to be my ‘best self’ every single day. Because entrepreneurship was my main field of study, I learned the ‘in’s and out’s’ of business, which allows me to take on many different roles, and also to understand the entire scope of our company’s operations. The Phillips School of Business not only taught me marketing, finance, accounting and management, but also commitment, work ethic and communication skills. High Point University is truly a school that shows students how to succeed when they graduate.

Also, Bridget Holcombe in Career & Internship Services assisted me in finding an amazing internship at Genuity Concepts in Greensboro, which allowed me to get real-world experience while also taking extra classes and finishing my senior year. It was another amazing learning experience at HPU, because Bridget showed me the importance of finding a job that ‘fits,’ and reminded me that following your dreams is never too cliché.

Most impactful professor at HPU: “Lou Anne Flanders-Stec had the most impact on me during my four years at High Point. She was not only my professor, but my advisor, and my ‘High Point mom.’ Lou Anne recognized my passion for entrepreneurship, and was the first person who encouraged me to pursue the program. She was right; it was perfect for me. Lou Anne’s passion for entrepreneurship and experience in the workplace allowed her to make the classroom an exciting place. She truly taught me how to build a business. In addition, she supported me both in the classroom and outside the classroom. This made her an amazing mentor.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at High Point University was receiving the Ollie Bieniemy, Jr. Endowed Scholarship during my Junior Year. This scholarship is given to the most outstanding junior in the Phillips School of Business, and I was honored and awe struck to have received it. It proved to me that my constant dedication and hours upon hours of hard work were paying off. It reminded me of my potential for success, and most importantly that hard work opens the door to opportunity.”

08

22

HPU students Taylor Agapite and Jessie Hull hand out candy to trick-or-treaters from the Boys and Girls Club of Greater High Point.
HPU Students Host Trick-or-Treating Event for Local Children
Chander Whicker WBTV
Senior Interns With WBTV 3 News
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: NC Voters See Economy, Bipartisanship as Key Issues in NC Senate Race