Class of 2014 Profile: Jessica Strickler Educates Youth in Virginia

Posted on July 22, 2014.

Name: Jessica Strickler

Major: Strickler graduated with a B.A. in Middle Grades Education, with concentrations in Language Arts and Social Studies, on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Strickler accepted a position as a language arts teacher at Short Pump Middle School and Pocahontas Middle School with Henrico County Public Schools in Virginia.

How HPU helped you get there: “As I was applying and interviewing for jobs, I had to jump on every opportunity I found. My education professors, especially Dr. Johnson, provided invaluable advice about resumes, connecting with principals and navigating the waters of the K-12 hiring process. Having compiled a detailed professional website over multiple semesters as part of our coursework gave me an added advantage in showcasing my lesson plans, technological capabilities and experiences in and out of the public school classroom.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “Dr. Shirley Disseler has prepared me well for what will be my first year of teaching; she goes 120 miles an hour, never stops working for her students and is incredibly successful in her own career. She requires her students to work harder than they ever have to be the most accomplished and prepared educators possible. I know year one will be a challenge, especially working across two schools, but because I had Dr. Disseler as an advisor, professor and confidant, I know I will be able to rise to any challenge and persevere. Plus, I can email her almost any hour of the day and get a response!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “HPU has a mission statement which, after four years of attending cultural events, walking the promenade to class, drinking water bottles from the kiosks and reading almost every publication produced by the university, is ingrained in my memory forever: ‘At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people.’ This statement drives the atmosphere, academics and campus life, as well as life for many students, staff and faculty, myself included. I wasn’t exactly certain how or where I might find elements of this enthused and effusive statement post-graduation; what I found, was nothing short of amazing. My new apartment is sun-drenched and inspires me to get up every morning and put forth my best. My new principals (and bosses) are creating educational opportunities to allow students to excel through every facet of the school day. Buying furniture was easier when working with salesmen and women who cared about finding the best pieces for my needs. Just two months after graduation, around every corner has been someone personifying the phrase I’ve heard, seen and witnessed day in and day out. It turns out that after four years of memories, hundreds of impactful moments and connections with so many people on campus, I now see extraordinary everywhere!”

Lessons and Carols
HPU Invites Community to Annual ‘Lessons and Carols’ Candlelight Ser…
November Extraordinary Leaders
November’s Extraordinary Leaders Go the Extra Mile
Mollie McKinley
Sophomore Receives Prestigious Grant