Class of 2014 Profile: Jessie Dietz Teaches in Thomasville

07.24.2014

Name: Jessie Dietz

Major: Dietz graduated with a B.A. in Elementary Education on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Dietz accepted a position teaching kindergarten at Thomasville Primary School. While teaching, she will also be completing her Masters of Education with a concentration in Literacy through HPU’s Norcross Graduate School.

How HPU helped you get there: “My education at High Point is the reason that I am ready to purse my dream of being a teacher. It has been my dream for as long as I can remember, but it was my professors that made my dream a reality. The professors at High Point have done more than teach me how to be a great teacher; they modeled it for all of us each and everyday in our classes. They taught me how to make a difference in my students’ lives, by teaching me more than material.  They instill a passion for learning.  While pushing me to be the best teacher that I can be, my professors were helpful and supportive along the way. HPU was essential to me being offered a job at Thomasville Primary.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “The professor who made all the difference for me was Dr. Leslie Cavendish. After having Dr. Cavendish for several classes during my undergraduate years, it became clear what an outstanding mentor she was and how willing she was to help. She was a life saver, while going through the nerve-racking interview and hiring process. She was there to help from day one, and I am so thankful to have her as a mentor as I pursue my first year of teaching.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment that I experienced at HPU was the day I received my acceptance letter from Norcross Graduate School. I have never felt more proud or accomplished than I did graduating and knowing that I would have the opportunity to further my education at High Point University.”

Sep
      20

13

Alixandra Yanus
    Professor to Give Talk on Gender and Political Campaigns
    Jason Allen
    Cardiovascular Health Expert to Speak at HPU
    Parker Ramsey
    Freshman Profile: A Global Perspective