Class of 2014 Profile: Jordan Cohen Masters Islamic Studies

07.7.2014

Name: Jordan Cohen

Major: Cohen graduated with a B.A. in History on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Cohen will be attending George Mason University for his master’s in Middle East and Islamic Studies. He will also be a research assistant for a professor in the Ali Vural Ak Center for Global Islamic Studies at GMU.

How HPU helped you get there: “Prior to attending HPU, I had no clue what I wanted to study. Following my time here, however, I know that I want to fuse my interest in the Middle East, economics, and ethics in order to influence U.S. global policy.” During his time at HPU, Cohen was a model leader as vice president of Brotherhood in the Beta Theta Pi fraternity and co-founder of HPU’s Ethics Bowl Team, which recently finished an undefeated season.  The Presidential Scholar says all of these experiences, as well as three very special professors, helped lead him to his future career.

Most impactful professor at HPU: “All of my professors at HPU were instrumental in helping me get in to graduate school and develop my interest in the Middle East; however, three professors clearly stand out. Dr. Larry Simpson, professor of history, had what was essentially unlimited office hours where I could discuss a variety of books and articles he loaned me. A second professor was Dr. Matthew Brophy, who was both one of my philosophy teacher’s and a coach on my ethics bowl team. Ethics Bowl has changed my viewpoint on a lot of business, communication, and bio-medical issues, as well as provided me an outlet to engage in competitive debate. Finally, my Arabic professor, Mina Ouakrim, helped me overcome my struggles in learning a foreign language. These three instructors, by teaching me material in unconventional and interesting ways, define ‘extraordinary’.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was receiving the History Department’s William Clark Barbour award at the end of my senior year.”

08

22

Anne Davey NC Republican Party
Junior Interns with NC Republican Party
Briayna Cuffie at GCDP
Students Gain Experience at Guilford County Democratic Party
Pre-Law students at supreme court
Students Attend, Learn From Supreme Court Hearing