Class of 2014 Profile: Lauryn Polo Pursues M.A. in Writing

07.29.2014

Name: Lauryn Polo

Major: Polo graduated with a B.A. in English Writing, with a minor in Strategic Communication, on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Polo will be attending Lenoir Rhyne’s program in Asheville, N.C. for her master’s in Writing. “It’s a small program that really cares about their students (much like HPU), and their end game is to put all of their students in a job that fits them.”

How HPU helped you get there: “I really believe that every aspect of my High Point experience has helped me. My classes challenged me, my extracurricular gave me leadership, and working on the ice cream truck taught me in more ways you can imagine: how to drive a truck that size, generosity and patience.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “It’s truly hard to pick just one professor that was impactful when the whole English department is so wonderful. But there were three that really helped guide me during my senior year: Dr. Charmaine Cadeau, Dr. Jacob Paul and Dr. Matthew Carlson. Those three really steered me in the right direction my last year, and I can honestly say I would not be attending graduate school this fall without their help.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My junior year I was a part of a book project in my Community Writing class. We interviewed women at Learning Together (a program in High Point that helps women from other countries learn English while giving homework help to their children) and we learned their literacy narratives. The final project was a book that will now be a part of the course reading for the class, but the most rewarding part was getting to know those women and what they went through. It gave us all a new perspective on literacy, and for me it changed my academic life.”

08

22

Psychology, HPU, Relationship Research, Sadie Leder
    Professor Authors Chapter in New Book for Aspiring Psychology Professors
    Sharon Love
    HPU to Host Mother of Slain UVA Student for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
    Junior Michelle Palombi informs buyers about products at Designmaster Furniture during the fall High Point Market.
    Industry Exposé: Students Work at High Point Market