Class of 2014 Profile: Matt Zachariades Accepts Math Teaching Fellowship

Posted on July 9, 2014.

Name: Matt Zachariades

Major: Zachariades graduated with a B.A. in Mathematics, with a minor in Coaching.

Post-graduation plans: Zachariades accepted a position as a Woodrow Wilson Fellow, and will be teaching middle school math in Millville, N.J. The Woodrow Wilson New Jersey Teaching Fellowship seeks to attract talented, committed individuals with backgrounds in the STEM fields—science, technology, engineering, and mathematics—into teaching in high-need N.J. secondary schools.

How HPU helped you get there: “My professor Dr. Laurie Zack showed me some information about the Woodrow Wilson Foundation, and after seeing the information I did some research and knew that this foundation was perfect for me. HPU also provided me classes that made me feel confident as a teacher which helped me during my interview process during the selection period.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “My most impactful professor had to be Dr. Cathi Smith. She had confidence in me since the first day I met her. Her classes prepared me to teach in a classroom, and without her classes I know that I would not have gotten where I am today. She is a type of person that I strive to be one day.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment had to be joining my fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha.”

HPU theatre majors hold superhero capes they made for members of the High Point Fire Department to keep on hand and give to children in difficult times.
Theatre Majors Create Superhero Capes for HPFD and Local Children
McCall Letterle
Alumna to be Featured on ‘Say Yes to the Dress’
Thomas Wolfe
HPU Adds New Historical Sculpture to Campus