Class of 2014 Profile: Nico Higgins DJs in Boston

07.15.2014

Name: Nico Higgins

Major: Higgins graduated with a B.A. in Strategic Communication on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Higgins accepted a promotions position with Clear Channel Communications in Boston. At Clear Channel, Higgins works as a DJ and promotes the company’s radio stations, which include Kiss 108, Jamn 94.5, Evolution and their newest station, 101.7 The Bull. He says he is open to any experience that furthers him toward his goal of an on air-personality.

How HPU helped you get there: “I constantly used the office of Career & Internship Services to ask a million questions about my resume and how to be most effective in an interview. They also helped me narrow down what field I wanted to work in.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “100%, this has to be Professor Watson. I stopped by his office at least once a week to seek advice on school, classes, getting a job and anything else I could think of asking. He was always more than happy to help. He has an outstanding attitude with an amazingly approachable style. He is what I would call an inspiring mentor. I believe a lot of us are willing to give advice or criticism but few of us have the ability to connect with others, inspire them as well as share their expertise. Professor Watson possesses all of that!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Other than every day in class with Nido for my freshmen and senior seminar classes, I would have to say it was the opportunity to open for Gym Class Heroes for the fall concert my junior year. It was a great experience to say the least. It pushed me to prove to myself and those around me that I was ready and capable to DJ at that level. It gave me the chance to face my fears and reach a new level all in the same night!  After that I was able to say with surety, ‘Yes I can DJ for any event.’ Also, DJing various events for the school allowed me to really get to know all kinds of people in my class. I have done events like freshmen orientation, senior week, sorority formals, senior formal, etc. Working with student government and the student body to coordinate these events was a great experience.

That really is the nature of HPU; if you come with goals and are open to facing your challenges, there is more than enough opportunity with faculty and staff at every turn ready to support you and guide you. It really is all about never say never and just keep dreaming. There is a dream out there for all of us but you have to put the work in, be willing to take the all the steps along the way and believe. Dreams aren’t made overnight, but you can definitely make your own path to it at HPU.”

08

22

Anne Davey NC Republican Party
Junior Interns with NC Republican Party
Briayna Cuffie at GCDP
Students Gain Experience at Guilford County Democratic Party
Pre-Law students at supreme court
Students Attend, Learn From Supreme Court Hearing