First Generation Scholarships Awarded to Two Incoming Freshmen

07.22.2014

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 22, 2014 – High Point University recently honored the dedicated work of two local high school graduates, Kayla Hedgecock and Joshua Caudle, by presenting them with the university’s First Generation Scholarships. Both students will begin their education at HPU this fall.

The First Generation Scholarships cover full tuition, fees and books. HPU awards the scholarships annually to Guilford County Schools graduates from the city of High Point who are the first in their family to pursue a college degree. This is the fifth year HPU has awarded the scholarships to area high school students.

Hedgecock, who graduated from High Point Central High School, participated in Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Beta Club and Young Life, which she plans to stay involved with while at HPU and eventually serve as a leader. She also played volleyball for four years, receiving varsity letters in the sport for two years.

A major in business and entrepreneurship is in Hedgecock’s future, and she plans to have her own business one day.

First Gen Scholarship Kayla Hedgecock“Words can’t describe what this scholarship means to me,” Hedgecock says. “I have the opportunity to receive a degree, to make something out of myself and to succeed in life. I couldn’t ask for a greater gift. I will be attending a school that offers me more than enough to be successful. Not only do I have the opportunity to attend college – I have the opportunity to go to HPU and to be extraordinary. I am so thankful and excited for these next four years!”

Caudle, who graduated from Andrews High School, earned a Service-Learning Diploma and received a N.C. House of Representatives Character Excellence Award for starting a dance program at Florence Elementary School that promoted exercise and healthy eating. He was Student Body President, president of the Go-Green Team environmental club, co-president of the Key Club and vice president of the International Club. He also traveled to South Africa for a service-learning trip with Dustin’s Greenhouse.

At HPU, Caudle plans to major in theatre performance with minors in dance and business. He says he would like to become a professional actor or dancer and open a performing arts school for the less fortunate in High Point.

“I am fortunate to attend such a prestigious university and receive a quality education,” says Caudle. “Having this opportunity provides me with the chance to change and impact other students’ lives in the way I’ve always wanted to in terms of the arts. Attending HPU will set me on the path I need to succeed, and that is why I appreciate this opportunity so much.”

13

08

August Extraordinary Leaders
    August Awards Two Extraordinary Leaders
    Poll-Icon-4-Large-Sq
    HPU/News & Record Poll: 7 Percent Teacher Pay Raise is Too Little, According to N.C. Likely Voters
    Poll-Icon-4-Large-Sq
    HPU Poll: Hagan and Tillis Have Different Strengths on Policy Issues, Voters Say