Graduate Student Interns at High Point Community Health Fund

07.31.2014

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 31, 2014 – Meredith Farless Nelson recently became the High Point Community Health Fund’s first intern. Nelson is currently pursuing a Master of Arts in Nonprofit Management and Leadership at High Point University.

Nelson takes on an active role in the grant process by helping to evaluate ongoing grant performance, reviewing projects under consideration for funding, participating in grantee or potential grantee site visits, and pursues opportunities to further the foundation’s work in addition to a number of other activities.

“Working for the HPCHF is a unique opportunity for me to assist a brand new organization during its formative period so it can immediately begin serving clients and collaborators to build a stronger, healthier community,” says Nelson. “HPU has presented me with several, positive challenges over the past year academically, professionally and personally. I have learned how important strong leadership is in all aspects of our lives and especially to an emerging organization. Therefore, I try to be very conscious to incorporate and model good leadership in my daily living as well as in my interactions with the people at HPCHF.”

Nelson says she is grateful for the support and connections she receives at HPU, especially from Dr. Christine Cugliari, associate professor of nonprofit management.

“Her teaching style is incredibly effective, and seeing her passion for the sector has also created much more of a personal commitment for me to also work in this particular area of the field,” says Nelson. “She has gone above and beyond the norm to help me in any way, and she has believed in me from the beginning.”

08

22

Psychology, HPU, Relationship Research, Sadie Leder
    Professor Authors Chapter in New Book for Aspiring Psychology Professors
    Sharon Love
    HPU to Host Mother of Slain UVA Student for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
    Junior Michelle Palombi informs buyers about products at Designmaster Furniture during the fall High Point Market.
    Industry Exposé: Students Work at High Point Market