Journalism Major Interns with International Media Company

Posted on July 21, 2014.

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 21, 2014 – Jasmine Williams, rising junior at High Point University and Montgomery Village, Md. native, is getting a first-hand look at how a major media company works this summer as the Production Services Intern for Gannett Co. Inc. at their corporate headquarters in McLean, Va.

Through her internship, Williams organizes photo shoots, works with USA TODAY reporters and creates company videos.

Gannett, an international media and marketing solutions company, is one of the largest media companies in the country. The company owns national brands including USA TODAY and CareerBuilder, and is the largest independent TV station group of major network affiliates in the top 25 U.S. markets with 42 television stations.

“I’m fortunate to work in two departments at Gannett, which has given me the opportunity to interact with many different people who work in various parts of the company,” says Williams. “This internship has taught me so much about the importance of two key ideas in the work place: networking and professionalism. It is vital to the success of your career that you network with other professionals and make connections with people.”

The journalism major says her mentors at HPU helped her achieve this extraordinary opportunity.

“One thing I love about HPU is that we learn in a way that encourages us to be very accepting and well-rounded people. This was very helpful in preparation for my internship at Gannett, because I have experience in several areas, which I think is one of the main reasons I got the job,” says Williams. “Dr. Martin Kifer, director of the Survey Research Center, gave me a lot of tips on how to narrow down my search and find a company that I would really be able to succeed and thrive in. Steve Alberts, adjunct professor, is one of those people who you work with, learn from, and become inspired by. His Video Journalism class reminded me of why I love the media industry! He really pushed our class to think in creative, innovative ways and never settle in our work.”

HPU Community Christmas 2014 1
Record 14,000 Attend HPU’s Community Christmas
Cara Sinicropi
Meet the Seniors: English Major Turns Internship into Professional Career
Roberts Hall
Sigma Nu Joins Greek Life Community