Rising Senior Interns with NASCAR Team

07.17.2014

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 17, 2014 – High Point University communication major Alex Mills is learning what it takes to run a top-tier NASCAR race team with Richard Childress Racing (RCR) in Welcome, N.C.

A native of Glastonbury, Conn., Mills is working with RCR’s brand across multiple channels. He helps organize schedules for team members for weekend races; creates material to send to sponsors on the value of their investments; outlines instructions on the appropriate ways to use RCR’s logos and car numbers; and assists with the management and distribution of the RCR apparel program. As a cross-departmental intern, he has learned that collaboration is a necessity for any race team.

Mills is grateful to Dr. Jennifer Lukow, associate professor of sport management at HPU, for helping him polish his résumé and gain confidence in his networking skills. He also credits Eric Melniczek, a career counselor in the Office of Career and Internship Services, with connecting him to Karen Bumgarner, RCR’s benefits coordinator and HPU alumna.

“Karen was kind enough to offer me a tour of the campus in Welcome, and I knew that it was where I wanted to work as soon as I walked into the shop,” Mills recalls.

At RCR, Mills has gained valuable network connections – like owner and CEO Richard Childress – that have not only helped him grow as a professional, but also inspired him to pursue a career in the racing industry.

“The connections I have made with this team have already begun to help me reach my goals for the future. I’ve known for a while that I want to work in NASCAR and I hope to do so upon graduation in May.”

08

22

High Point University Professor Lisa Carnell
    Professor Is Program Co-Chair for Upcoming Math Conference
    Shannon Curley
    HPU Senior Interns, Creates a Future at Hasbro
    Beka Butts
    Grant Series to Feature Local Chicana Artist