Student Revitalizes Philadelphia Community

07.28.2014

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 28, 2014 – High Point University international relations major Lillian Bijl is helping revitalize a community in Philadelphia thanks to an internship she secured with Mt. Airy USA (MAUSA), a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving, empowering and advancing the Mt. Airy neighborhood.

As the Special Events and Communications Associate with MAUSA, Bijl manages the content and design for the community initiative’s website, social media platforms, newsletters, events and promotional materials.

She credits a mediated communications course with Kristina Bell, instructor of communication at HPU, with developing her strong software design skills that not only helped her secure the internship with MAUSA, but also allow her to deliver professional and creative results.

“I loved Professor Bell’s class; her teaching style was so effective that I was able to get a really good grasp on the program in just a few weeks,” says Bijl. “What I learned in that class really translated into a real-world opportunity to grow at a non-profit I am passionate about.”

Bijl’s internship has introduced her to numerous facets of urban development and community engagement. She says that being exposed to new ideas and responsibilities has led her to develop skills in time management and personal growth.

“I have learned that my work is completely my responsibility and I have to own it, whether I hit an assignment out the park or stumble over my own mistake,” adds Bijl. “However, I view mistakes as learning opportunities, too, and my internship gives me room to learn, self-adjust and move on.”

Now a senior, Bijl will begin another internship with Creative Services, a local public relations and marketing agency in High Point, this fall. After graduating, Bijl plans to take a year teaching English in East Asia before pursuing a master’s degree.

13

08

HPU Theatre On the Verge Poster
    Theatre to Perform ‘On the Verge’
    Rich Davis photo 8.18.2014
    Alumnus Rich Davis Finds Success in Politics
    HPU Camp Out 1
    Students to Host Homelessness Awareness Campout and Car Show for Open Door Ministries