Class of 2014 Profile: Alyssa Carney Crafts a Career in Furniture

Posted on August 20, 2014.

With a successful 2014 Commencement Ceremony behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2014:

Name: Alyssa Carney

Major: Carney graduated with a B.S. in Interior Design on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Carney accepted a position as a Design Consultant for Bassett Furniture.

How HPU helped you get there: “My experience at HPU is something that I’m so grateful for. With its location, I was able to work for the High Point Market Authority 3 out of my 4 years at High Point and I was able to see and be a part of something that not many design students get to experience. The entire School of Art and Design staff was always so supportive and encouraging and did everything they could to make sure we got to take advantage of the market. They constantly utilized their personal connections, with field trips and guests speakers to give us insight on the design world. I also used Career & Internship Services at HPU a few times to go over my resume. They were always very helpful and did everything they could to make sure they made time for me.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “I don’t know if I could really just pick one; every professor I had at HPU – not only in the interior design program – was impactful in their own way. If I had to pick just one, I think I would say Mr. Brandon Jones: he could always put a smile on anyone’s face (usually with a corny joke!) if you were feeling worried and stressed. He was always so understanding and considerate of the work that came along with the detailed projects we had within the major, and he always truly appreciated our hard work and dedication.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My experiences at the High Point Market as a lead market scout were something that I will never forget and have helped me so much as I begin my career out of HPU and into the interior design world. I know that I wouldn’t have been given the opportunity to work there if it wasn’t for the support that I received from my High Point University professors and friends!”

Lessons and Carols
HPU Invites Community to Annual ‘Lessons and Carols’ Candlelight Ser…
November Extraordinary Leaders
November’s Extraordinary Leaders Go the Extra Mile
Mollie McKinley
Sophomore Receives Prestigious Grant