Class of 2014 Profile: Christiana Walker Designs Model Homes

08.12.2014

With a successful 2014 Commencement Ceremony behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2014:

Name: Christiana Walker

Major: Walker graduated with a B.S. in Interior Design, with a minor in Marketing, on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Walker accepted a position as an Associate Designer with Builders Design, an award-winning interior design firm in Sarasota, Fla. In her position, Walker works with a team of designers, merchandisers and contractors to design the interiors of model homes all over the state of Florida.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University provided me with the tools I needed to make connections in the design industry. Every contact I have made over my four years at HPU has proven to be useful, no matter how big or small. I continue to be amazed at how frequently I utilize the connections I have established. High Point University has also prepared me with the knowledge I needed to dive confidently into the design field. I am incredibly blessed to have received my ideal job soon after graduating and I owe my success to HPU.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “My most impactful professors at HPU have been Professor Cathy Nowicki and Professor Cindy Hanson. Professor Nowicki has not only been an incredible educator and advisor to me, but continues to be a great mentor and friend. I can always rely on her for the best professional and personal advice. Professor Nowicki always shared a genuine interest in all of her students and knew exactly how to push us to produce our best work. Professor Nowicki’s optimism and eagerness in the classroom has contributed to my passion and creativity towards interior design as a whole. She spent many years in the field of interior design prior to teaching, and is able to share her first-hand knowledge and experience with her students. She provides us with the necessary guidance to pursue various facets of the industry based on her career background. She is always assisting her students in networking opportunities, whether it be Furniture Market jobs, design community events or her own personal contacts. Professor Hanson was also an outstanding instructor and mentor to me. I had the pleasure of first having Professor Hanson for Marketing Communications my fall semester of my senior year. Her course and teaching style helped me to develop a new found perspective and love for Marketing. In order to finish my Marketing minor I was required to take Marketing Management my final semester, due to scheduling conflicts I was unable to coordinate with the fixed course times. Professor Hanson was one of the instructors for the course and offered her free office hours to work with me individually through the Directed Studies program. I would not have been able to complete my minor in Marketing if it weren’t for Professor Hanson’s incredible kindness and dedication to my success. I am grateful for all of Professor Nowicki’s and Professor Hanson’s encouragement and support through my endeavors.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Access to the High Point Furniture Market was my most impactful moment at HPU. High Point Furniture Market provided me with the opportunity to experience the design industry from a professional perspective. For one week, every semester for four years, I changed roles from a student to a contributor in the industry. I worked along side recognized designers, furniture craftsman and lead businessmen. There is no better way to learn than in a hands-on practical atmosphere.”

08

22

HPU students Taylor Agapite and Jessie Hull hand out candy to trick-or-treaters from the Boys and Girls Club of Greater High Point.
HPU Students Host Trick-or-Treating Event for Local Children
Chander Whicker WBTV
Senior Interns With WBTV 3 News
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: NC Voters See Economy, Bipartisanship as Key Issues in NC Senate Race