Class of 2014 Profile: Kelsey Somers Consults at La-Z-Boy

08.8.2014

With a successful 2014 Commencement Ceremony behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2014:

Name: Kelsey Somers

Major: Somers graduated with a B.S. in Interior Design, with a minor in Home Furnishings, on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Somers accepted a position as a Sales and Design Consultant with La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries in Winston-Salem, N.C. In her position, Somers works in tandem with the lead designer on customer design projects, and consults with customers to help create fashionable design solutions that best suit their unique styles and needs.

How HPU helped you get there: “Through HPU’s rigorous and extremely competitive interior design program, I gained hands-on experience and one-on-one interaction with professors which helped me excel and reach my full potential. The CIDA-accredited design program provided me with a well-rounded design education that taught me the ins and outs of the industry and exposed me to the many different opportunities and paths available to me. Each class provided valuable skills needed to succeed as an interior designer. The curriculum also provided flexibility, allowing me to learn all aspects of the design industry, then focus on the aspects I most enjoyed and apply them to my own work.

I gained invaluable experience at design showrooms through the High Point Furniture Market in the spring and fall. It was an amazing opportunity to make connections, meet industry professionals and see current design trends in the market. While working for Miles Talbott showrooms, I helped with the production of the Shabby Chic, Martha Stewart Collection and Michael Thomas showrooms. Following my first Market experience, I was able to obtain several internships – working for a textile company, a remodeling company, a design center, and a non-profit firm that provides bedroom makeovers for critically ill children.  This diverse set of experiences allowed me to view many aspects of the design industry and offered me direct industry involvement.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “Professor Cathy Nowicki always gave great advice about all aspects of the design field and helped guide each and every one of us to find our niche. She never failed to motivate me throughout my four years. I cannot thank her enough.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “It’s hard to pick just one impactful moment at HPU since there were so many influential moments. Staying involved on campus in different organizations, being part of a welcoming community that always made me feel like I was home, and having amazing resources right at my fingertips all impacted me in the best ways.  My entire HPU experience impacted me for a lifetime.”

08

22

Anne Davey NC Republican Party
Junior Interns with NC Republican Party
Briayna Cuffie at GCDP
Students Gain Experience at Guilford County Democratic Party
Pre-Law students at supreme court
Students Attend, Learn From Supreme Court Hearing