Class of 2014 Profile: Marith McMahon Launches Career in Education

08.7.2014

With a successful 2014 Commencement Ceremony behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2014:

Name: Marith McMahon

Major: McMahon graduated with a B.A. in Elementary Education on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: McMahon accepted a position teaching 3rd grade at High Point Friends School. While teaching, she will also taking graduate courses in the evening at HPU to complete her master’s degree in Elementary Education with a concentration in Literacy.

How HPU helped you get there: “I owe my successes to the holistic education that the university has blessed me with. The most significant part of my undergraduate career at HPU was the opportunity for experience. My professors in the School of Education have prepared me for the demands of 21st century education. The Career & Internship Services department tremendously aided me in preparing my professional resume and cover letter for employment. The care, positivity, and encouragement at High Point University is outstanding.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “Mrs. Debbie Albert is the professor who has impacted me the most. She has become not only a teacher, but a mentor, and a friend. Her passion for learning is just incredible. I am so appreciative for her continuous time. Mrs. Albert’s office door is always open, and she has helped me to see that determination and drive promote success. I was fortunate enough have Mrs. Albert as a professor for three of my undergraduate courses, and as my university supervisor for student teaching. She demonstrates a teaching style that is meaningful and purposeful, and so much of what I do in the classroom represents the beliefs she has instilled in me.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My induction into the Kappa Delta Pi Education Honors Society was one of the most significant experiences I have had at HPU. I worked extremely hard for my acceptance into the School of Education, and then to be a Dean’s List student, and I could not have asked for a better way to end my undergraduate career in education. This impactful moment in my life is a result of the empowering experiences and environment at the university.”

13

08

Todd Drake
    HPU to Host Human Rights Photographer Todd Drake
    HPU Theatre On the Verge Poster
    Theatre to Perform ‘On the Verge’
    Rich Davis photo 8.18.2014
    Alumnus Rich Davis Finds Success in Politics