Class of 2014 Profile: Savannah Bastecki Designs in Florida

08.4.2014

Name: Savannah Bastecki

Major: Bastecki graduated with a B.A. in Graphic Design and Digital Imaging, with a minor in Communication, on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Bastecki accepted a position as a Junior Graphic Artist with Pinnacle Advertising and Marketing Group in Boca Raton, Fl. “I am so excited for this amazing opportunity. I always dreamed of living in a tropical climate such as Florida although I will miss New Jersey. The position was advertised on Careerbuilder.com and I believed I fit the qualifications. It was not enough to just simply apply online and wait for a response. This was a job I really wanted and I was willing to work hard to get it.  After introducing myself over the phone and sending a few emails, the Creative Director asked for an interview. I eagerly flew down on two separate occasions to meet with the Creative Director, the COO and CEO of the company to secure the position. I will be giving my all with this fast growing company with the hope of adding to Pinnacle’s success.”

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University helped me channel my creativity into graphic design.  I have always loved being artistic.  Since the world is becoming more technologically advanced, I thought that graphic design would be a great career in which to express my creativity. I enjoyed going to all of my design classes and loved homework! That’s when I knew graphic design was my passion. I went to Career and Internship Services to find an internship where I could gain real world experience. I had the pleasure of meeting Eric Melniczek. Through him, I found two internships with SpreadPR and The Greensboro Science Center as a Graphic Design intern. He helped me develop a professional resume and cover letter.  High Point University gave me the resources to become ‘extraordinary’ in and out of the classroom.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “Mrs. Janis Dougherty was hands down the professor that influenced me the most. She was not only a wonderful instructor but also a mentor, problem solver and confidant. I knew she really cared about me. She helped me reach my potential by assigning challenging projects that expanded my design perspective. She taught me that I have a limitless capacity to learn. She taught me the subtle nuances of design where if something looks great, it can be made to look even better. Her encouragement gave me confidence in my ability to problem solve. Even when I wasn’t taking one of her classes, she was always available to review my work and assisted in the development of my online portfolio. She will forever have my respect, admiration and gratitude. It is a blessing to have come in contact with this genuinely good person and I will miss her.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Graduation was the culmination of all my experiences at HPU. All my friendships made, all my challenges faced, and most importantly all the knowledge learned was awakened in me full force. I saw a flash back of every moment that has made me who I am today with the people who I cherish the most. Graduation day not only made me reflect on my past, but also had me dreaming and planning for my future.  It was a very motivating experience on a beautiful bright day and I will never forget the feeling of satisfaction for a college career well done, surrounded by people who are proud of me. I am prepared to show the world what I have become professionally and socially because of everything I gained attending High Point University.”

08

22

HPU students Taylor Agapite and Jessie Hull hand out candy to trick-or-treaters from the Boys and Girls Club of Greater High Point.
HPU Students Host Trick-or-Treating Event for Local Children
Chander Whicker WBTV
Senior Interns With WBTV 3 News
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: NC Voters See Economy, Bipartisanship as Key Issues in NC Senate Race