Psychology Professor Receives National Teaching Excellence Award

Posted on August 11, 2014.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 11, 2014 – Dr. Sadie Leder Elder, assistant professor of psychology, was recently named the national recipient of the Jane S. Halonen Teaching Excellence Award from the Society for the Teaching of Psychology (STP).

The award recognizes outstanding early career psychologists for their teaching effectiveness, mentorship of students’ professional development, and commitment to advancing the science of teaching and learning through both scholarship and service. Elder received the award at the American Psychological Association (APA) convention in Washington, D.C., on Aug. 7.

“I could not be more delighted by this once in a lifetime honor,” says Elder. “I am fortunate to be a part of the HPU family, and know that the resources and support provided by this extraordinary institution have been essential in my development as a professor.”

“I feel exceedingly fortunate to have found in Dr. Elder not only a research mentor, but someone who helps to guide my professional development. I am more competitive for graduate school and better positioned for achieving my ultimate career goal because of my relationship and experience with Dr. Elder,” says rising junior Ashlee Branch. “Dr. Elder has always gone out of her way to care for my development more broadly, both as a student and as an individual. As a professor, researcher and advisor, Dr. Elder is truly exceptional.”

Throughout her career, Elder has received a number of teaching accolades, including a Faculty Excellence Award given by her students at HPU’s 2014 Honors Day Ceremony. She also received STP’s Wilbert J. McKeachie Teaching Excellence Award for graduate students in 2010. In its 34 year history, Elder is among an elite few to be awarded multiple teaching awards by this prestigious organization.

“I have always felt like one of the most important contributions that I will make with my life is as an educator,” say Elder. “I am touched that my teaching methods have been well received by both my students and colleagues.”

Mar
    16
    3.16

Regular Decision Deadline
    Apr
    02

Spring Open House

Sarah Patterson
Student Studies Stereotypes of Women in 17th Century Literature
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: Positive Ratings for Clintons and G. W. Bush in NC; Most Potential 201…
The Drowsy Chaperone
Theatre, Music Departments to Present “The Drowsy Chaperone”