Washington, D.C. Design Firm Selects Dailey as Intern

08.22.2014

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 22, 2014 – High Point University interior design major Laura Dailey is gaining first-hand experience in the business from a successful designer. The rising senior, from Parkersburg, West Virginia, is interning for Studio Santalla in Washington, D.C.

Over the summer, Dailey assisted studio owner Ernesto Santalla in the design process and oversaw various installations for clients, including furniture and draperies. She also helped create floor plans and 3D renderings for clients using Sketchup and Adobe Illustrator.

“I have been lucky enough to work closely with Ernesto, observing what it takes to run a successful interior design firm,” says Dailey. “He has taught me the importance of responsible and responsive interior design, and I witnessed first-hand all the work that goes into a project, from the initial meeting with a client, to schematic design, to the final results utilizing contractors, electrician and other specialists along the way.”

Dailey says HPU gave her the tools she needed to succeed in the position.

“I came into this internship knowing how the design process works, being able to use various drafting and rendering computer programs, knowing how to make fabric and materials selections, and understanding the importance of design that responds to the client’s needs,” says Dailey.

She adds she wouldn’t have gained this valuable experience without Heidi Fischer, director of study abroad at HPU, reminding her of the importance of perseverance by helping her study abroad in Florence, Italy last semester.

“It was thanks to her hard work and dedication that I was able to make my seemingly impossible goal of studying abroad a reality,” says Dailey. “Before finding an internship with Studio Santalla, I contacted many other firms in the D.C. area with no luck. Inspired by Heidi, I kept contacting firms until I secured this internship. Once again, perseverance turned my hopes into reality.”

08

22

Etgar Keret
    HPU to Host Israeli Author Keret
    High Point University Professor Lisa Carnell
    Professor Is Program Co-Chair for Upcoming Math Conference
    Shannon Curley
    HPU Senior Interns, Creates a Future at Hasbro