August Awards Two Extraordinary Leaders

August Extraordinary Leaders

As High Point University students transition back into the swing of classes, homework and extracurricular activities, HPU’s Extraordinary Leaders for August serve as prime examples of how students can excel both in and out of the classroom. Throughout their journey at HPU, senior Benjamin May and senior Meaghan Reney have grown into true ambassadors for integrity and service.

Meaghan Reney

More than six years ago, Reney knew she wanted to attend HPU after hearing Dr. Nido Qubein, HPU President, speak at a motivational convention in California.

“Dr. Qubein illustrated his goals and way of life in a light that I could see myself thriving in,” she recalls. “He inspired me to live my life in a goal‐oriented, service-based, caring environment, surrounded by the most extraordinary students, faculty and administration.”

As a double major in music and human relations, Reney helps provide an inspiring environment to HPU through her involvement with the pep band, university band and flute ensemble. During her work as president of HPU’s Volunteer Center, she also helps coordinate and promote opportunities for students to give back to the High Point community.

Both May and Reney have mentored underclassmen during their time as Resident Assistants. They say that forming and growing relationships with residents – residents who, years later, mature to be mentors to freshmen themselves – is a special part of their HPU experience.

Ben May

May is a Presidential Scholar and has earned a position on the Dean’s List each semester since he began his HPU journey. He truly reflects the value of a holistic education that extends beyond the classroom and has developed leadership skills as a Captain University Ambassador, captain of the club swim team and president of the HPU Macs Club.

“One of my favorite things about HPU is that I’m not only earning a degree here, but I’m also being shaped professionally in many different ways, as well as constantly building on my connection base,” says May, a mathematics and physics double major. “HPU directly spans the gap between graduation and employment through the holistic education, along with the support we as students have from the university.”

After graduation, May plans to pursue a future in consulting, while Reney looks forward to beginning a career in the hospitality industry while continuing her passion for music. Both know that the HPU experience has prepared them for whatever professional opportunities may come their way.

“When I think about how much character development I have experienced at HPU, it brings a smile to my face,” says May. “From the encouraging atmosphere of this campus to the many role models that I am surrounded with, I have grown to be a strong leader and a great friend.”

“HPU has helped me find my voice and my purpose,” says Reney. “This university has given me the motivation and inspiration to become who I am meant to be, and for that I will be eternally grateful.”