Class of 2014 Outcomes: Ali Jansen Creates a Future in Education

With a successful 2014 Commencement Ceremony behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2014:

Name: Ali Jansen

Major: Jansen graduated with a B.A. in Elementary Education on May 3.

Post-graduation plans: Jansen accepted a position as a kindergarten and first-grade teacher at Colonial Baptist Church School in Randolph County, N.C. She is also pursuing her master’s degree in education with a STEM concentration through HPU’s Norcross Graduate School. 

How HPU helped you get there: “I have always wanted to be a teacher, and after looking at many colleges, I chose HPU because of the School of Education’s cutting edge, innovative curriculum for education majors, and to be able to continue fulfilling my teaching dream by earning my master’s. Both undergrad and master’s programs prepared me with the skills, knowledge and experiences to achieve my lifelong dream of teaching in the elementary classroom. The exceptional professors I had (and still have in grad school), all the years I spent learning in the School of Education and interning in local High Point classrooms, taught me the skills and insights I needed to land my first job! My role is not to just stand in front of a class and spew information at the kids. If I am to make a difference in this world, my job is to help each and every student in my classroom maximize their potential and fulfill their own dreams. This is the most impactful skill HPU’s professors taught me and I will carry with me throughout my teaching career.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “The most impactful, knowledgeable and innovative professor I had throughout my experience at HPU is Dr. Shirley Disseler. I will never forget the numerous strategic and insightful lessons she taught me, and most importantly, embedding in me that an effective teacher must engage their kids in learning. We’ve learned that many teachers often forget that their students are still impressionable children, and in my case some as young as six years old. Often the best way to ‘teach them’ is by engaging them interactively, hands-on and through playing. If I can make a game educational and playful for my kids, they will get so much more out of every lesson than they would simply filling out worksheets. Dr. Disseler innovatively demonstrated, taught and provided me with endless resources and interactive, engaging activities that I needed to become an effective, resourceful and impactful teacher.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment for me at HPU was sitting with my fellow students at graduation. All the emotions came rushing to me at once; the feeling of achievement, the sacrifices I had to make to achieve my goals, the pride I saw in my parent’s eyes to have their first born walking across the stage, the sadness I will feel later saying goodbye to my best friends, but most importantly the hope of the future to come.”