Student Learns the Ropes at Broadway Production Office

HIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 1, 2014 – High Point University junior Cara Kramer made great connections during her internship in New York City, an experience she hopes will lead to big opportunities in the future. Kramer spent her summer working for Carolyn Rossi Productions in Times Square, where she was an office intern and the social media manager for the Off-Broadway hit, “How 2 B A New Yorker.”

The theatre performance and technical theatre double major from Clinton, New Jersey, who aspires to be a professional actor and will start auditioning after graduation in 2016, says the internship brought her dreams into focus.

“By working in a Broadway production office, I have learned a lot about the ins and outs of the New York theatre industry,” she says. “So much happens behind the scenes that people don’t even realize, and so much more credit should be given to producers and general managers of shows. I have been lucky enough to make great connections with people in the industry and learn many things directly from them.”

In addition to her social media and office duties, Kramer assisted in organizing the upcoming world premiere of the musical “Amazing Grace,” opening in Chicago in October. HPU senior Madison Jordan, who interned at Strouse IP and worked directly with Charles and Barbara Strouse, also worked with her on “Amazing Grace.”

Kramer credits the theatre department at HPU for preparing her for Broadway-sized success.

“Although I am only going into my junior year, the faculty has taught me so much about the world of theatre, both in performance and technical work,” Kramer says. “My classes have helped prepare me to assist in various tasks in the office and truly understand the world I am working in. I am completely comfortable working in a professional theatre environment.