Fall Career Expo Brings Top Employers to Campus

HPU Career Expo 3

Recent graduates Spencer Warren (left) and Garrett Swaim (right), now recruiters for Global Insight, speak to students about working for the company at HPU’s Career Expo. Warren was hired by the IT staffing firm after he attended the same event as a senior in the spring.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 2, 2014 – Dressed in a neatly pressed suit and armed with resumes, Alex Mills had one goal at High Point University’s Fall Career Expo held Oct. 1: Talk to as many people as possible.

Mills, a communication major from Connecticut, began his job search last year as a junior.

“What I’ve learned since then is that the more people you can meet and talk to, and the more networking you can do, the better,” said Mills. “That’s why this event is so important.”

More than 40 employers set up shop in the Slane Gym to meet and greet several hundred students in search of internship and career opportunities. Companies included Vanguard, Charlotte Hornets, Lenovo, Northwestern Mutual, Charlotte Observer, the FBI and many more.

Spencer Warren, a 2014 graduate, might be the most tangible proof that attending and networking at HPU’s Career Expo produces results. He attended the Expo to meet and recruit students like Mills for Insight Global, the company that hired him after he met them at the university’s Spring Career Expo.

“I’m proof that this process works,” says Warren. “I made the initial connection Fall Career Expo Groupwith my company on campus last spring, got a phone call the next day and then set up the interview. I’ve seen several other alumni work in our company as well.”

Ryan McGinn, director of operations at Insight Global’s Raleigh office, staffed the company’s table at the event with Warren and 2014 HPU graduate Garrett Swaim, also employed there.

“The reason I came to meet students at this event is due to the two guys standing beside me and the quality of individual we’ve received from HPU,” said McGinn. “Over the last eight years, I’ve heard so much about High Point University. I wanted to come out and see what it’s all about.”