HPU Senior Interns, Creates a Future at Hasbro

High Point University senior Shannon Curley landed a prestigious internship this summer at Hasbro Inc., a multi million-dollar company in Providence, Rhode Island.

Curley, a native of North Kingstown, Rhode Island, balanced two roles as both the brand writing intern and the editorial intern. As a brand writing intern, she helped write copy for packaging, including necessary legal lines and callouts, as well as the product story. She also had the exciting task of helping to develop names for new toys and different product segments. In her position as the editorial intern, Curley assisted with international translations necessary for packaging items in different languages across the world.

Curley notes that the experience helped her develop skills in balancing creativity with technical work.

“Working at Hasbro Inc. taught me that you can be serious and have fun at the same time,” she says.

Curley also says the inspiring environment at HPU has not only been influential in her development as a person, but has also prepared her for a successful future.

“The English department at High Point University is absolutely phenomenal and I would never have even thought I could get this internship without the support of all of my amazing professors,” she says. “Attending HPU has made me a more confident person, as it is simply the most encouraging and supportive environment a student could ask for. Attending this school makes me want to succeed – equipped with the education and experiences I have received here, there is no excuse for me not to.”

After completing her summer internship, Curley was offered a position as an independently contracted Junior Brand Writer at Hasbro Inc.; she will begin working on January 5, 2015, after graduating from HPU in December.