Junior Interns with NC Republican Party

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 31, 2014 – With Election Day just a few days away, High Point University junior Anne Davey is serving on the front line of the campaign trail as a lead intern with the Guilford County headquarters of the North Carolina Republican Party.

A native of Southold, New York, Davey actively recruits and trains volunteers to canvass and operate phone banks. She also helps manage the party’s social media accounts and keeps party members up to date.

Davey says that working to help people “get out the vote” has been rewarding.

“Through working with the state party during such a competitive election cycle, I’ve been able to better understand the importance of voting and how we each play an important part in our government,” says the political science and international business major. “Being able to affect change and have a say in the people that we send to Washington is a right and privilege.”

Davey credits Dr. Martin Kifer, assistant professor of political science and director of the HPU Survey Research Center, in instilling in her a hands-on curriculum that integrates classroom teaching with real-world political experience.

“Everything I’ve done in my time here at HPU has given me a tremendous leg up on the competition and helped prepare me for internship positions like this one.”

HPU student Jessie Giaquinto is also interning this semester with the North Carolina Republican Party.

“I am lucky to have the opportunity to share this internship experience with Jessie, one of my political science classmates and best friends,” adds Davey. “It’s a great chance to work together on something that really matters. Being able to impact change and make a difference with your classmates and friends is a unique part of being a student at HPU during election time.”

After Davey graduates in 2016, she plans to move to Washington, D.C., where she can put her political interests and skills to use on Capitol Hill or at the State Department.