Senior Interns With WBTV 3 News

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 30, 2014 – High Point University senior Chandler Whicker is diving into the news world as a reporter intern with WBTV Channel 3 News in Charlotte, North Carolina.

A native of Huntersville, North Carolina, Whicker helps producers gather information for newscasts, accompanies reporters in the field, attends news planning meetings, and assists with live broadcasts in the studio and control room. Her internship has not only given her opportunities to gain confidence through hands-on experiences, but it has also allowed her an insider’s look on what it takes to succeed in the industry.

As a communication major with a concentration in journalism, Whicker says the classes she has taken during her time at HPU have granted her valuable industry knowledge that she utilizes every day at the CBS-affiliated station.

“HPU taught me the necessary skills in order to be competitive and marketable in the broadcasting industry,” she says. “My production media professor, Steve Alberts, gave me the confidence to take the initiative to find an internship, and skills from his class have allowed me to succeed in my position at WBTV.”