Students Gain Experience at Guilford County Democratic Party

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 31, 2014 – As the North Carolina Senate race enters the final stretch, High Point University senior Briayna Cuffie is in the middle of all the hustle and bustle as an intern for the Guilford County Democratic Party.

The Annapolis, Maryland, native is an office administration and voter registration intern. Since joining the GCDP in August, Cuffie has had the opportunity to hear first-hand various perspectives on North Carolina politics and the issues that matter most to voters. She has also learned the importance of knowing and informing voters of poll rules, how to walk someone through the voter registration form, and the effectiveness of one-on-one communication and keeping a strong, active volunteer database.

Cuffie isn’t the only one gaining experience with the GCDP this semester; political science majors like Jacqueline Cafasso in Dr. Martin Kifer’s “PSC 3332: Campaigns and Elections” service learning course are working with the campaign throughout the midterm elections. Senior Eleanor Lawrence decided to volunteer with the party as well.

As an international relations major at HPU, Cuffie says that while she doesn’t anticipate working directly in politics, she knows it will be a part of her future when she pursues a federal government career in homeland security and intelligence. She credits HPU’s inspiring environment and faculty in helping her achieve her goals.

“HPU always encourages students to be extraordinary,” says Cuffie. “My advisor, Dr. Mark Setzler, is always so supportive of my desire to be a student on and off campus. While he has to reign me in sometimes to remind me that I can’t cram everything I want to do into one semester, he always makes himself available to give me advice.”

Outside of the GCDP, other students are diving into politics by interning and volunteering this semester with the North Carolina Republican Party Headquarters, the Guilford County Republican Party, Congressman Howard Coble’s Office and more.