The Krispy Kreme Connection

Cathleen Allred

Cathleen Allred

High Point University prepares students to succeed in some of the country’s most successful companies. One example is Krispy Kreme, now a household name in different parts of the world.

Much like HPU, Krispy Kreme has seen major growth over the years, transforming from a single bakery in Winston-Salem to an international franchise, with stores in 21 countries. Now, two of Krispy Kreme’s rising stars are proud HPU alumnae, Cathleen Allred and Lauren McGraw.

Shortly after earning her MBA from HPU in 2012, Allred was appointed Senior Vice President of Human Resources and Organizational Development at Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporation.

“Earning my MBA expanded my knowledge base in overall business management,” says Allred. “I gained exposure and information about other areas of business that were important for my personal development.”

Allred joined Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporate in March of 2002 as a Human Resources Manager. She has worked her way up the ranks of this Winston-Salem based corporation and has been an integral part of the extensive growth they have had in the last 10 years, both domestically as well as internationally.

“Cathleen has proven herself to be a successful and strong business leader who understands the vital roles our team members play in growing our business and ensuring our commitment to outstanding customer service,” says Jim Morgan, Krispy Kreme Executive Chairman.

One of Allred’s many responsibilities in her previous role was overseeing the hiring for the Krispy Kreme Management Trainee Program, and in 2010 she hired then recent HPU grad Lauren McGraw. In the past four years McGraw worked her way up from a manager trainee to becoming a member of the team responsible for the International Franchising at Krispy Kreme. Last year, she traveled to eight countries spanning from Singapore to Bogota, Colombia.

“My job and experience thus far has been a once in a lifetime opportunity, much like my experience at High Point University. When I took the job as a manager trainee at Krispy Kreme, I had no idea that I would be traveling the world in just 4 years,” says McGraw. “I believe the holistic approach that High Point takes to education truly prepared me for where I am today and anywhere I go as my career continues to grow.”

Allred and McGraw are not the only High Point Alumni currently working at Krispy Kreme.

“There are a lot of HPU graduates here, both MBA and bachelor-degree holders,” says Allred.

“It is always exciting to learn that someone else also attended High Point University,” says McGraw. “I have been able to reach out to new HPU grads that have joined our company and share my experience with them.”