Alumnus Banks on Career with FDIC

High Point University 2009 graduate Matt Boswell is leading a life of success and significance with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) in Charlotte, N.C.

As a Financial Institution Examiner at the FDIC for five years now, Boswell evaluates the overall financial condition and risk profile of banks, identifies concerns and emerging issues, and then recommends corrective actions.

While pursuing double majors in finance and entrepreneurship at HPU, Boswell was actively involved on campus. He was a key player on the men’s basketball team, president of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee, a University Ambassador and Resident Assistant/ARD. Excelling both in and out of the classroom, Boswell was valedictorian of his senior class and participated in several academic honor societies.

The summer before his senior year, Boswell completed a corporate finance internship at BB&T’s corporate headquarters in Winston-Salem, N.C. That internship, along with his academic, athletic and extracurricular experiences were critical factors in giving him the winning edge to beat out 1,200 other applicants for the 30 open positions with the FDIC.

He credits a significant part of his achievements to his time at HPU.

“HPU is about incredible people,” he says. “The faculty, staff and my classmates created an involved environment, well-rounded education and unforgettable experiences. My time there prepared me for a business career and allowed me to grow and develop in all areas of my life.”

“There were so many members from the faculty and staff at HPU that supported me and continue to influence my personal and professional life,” he adds. “From a career perspective, Dr. Jim Wehrley, Dr. Stephanie Crofton and Dr. Michael McCully in the Phillips School of Business were the most influential in shaping my views of business, finance and economics.”

Boswell is one of hundreds of HPU alumni who migrated to the Charlotte area after graduation. Other graduates are excelling in careers at Vanguard, Red Ventures, KPMG, IKEA, Lenovo, the Charlotte Hornets, MetLife, WCCB Charlotte, WBTV News and more.