Class of 2014 Outcomes: Allie Dearie Spreads Hope and Help With TWLOHA

With a successful 2014 Commencement Ceremony behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2014:

Name: Allie Dearie

Major: Dearie graduated with a B.A. in Graphic Design and Digital Imaging on May 3.

Dearie designed the 2014 TWLOHA UChapters T-shirt.

Dearie designed this 2014 UChapters T-shirt for TWLOHA college chapters around the world.

Post-graduation plans: Dearie accepted a position as an intern with To Write Love On Her Arms (TWLOHA), a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. At TWLOHA, Dearie answers messages from supporters, works alongside staff members, and engages with fans at events.

“I work with the UChapters program, interacting with and assisting the 100+ chapters on college campuses across the country and around the world. I recently designed the 2014 UChapters shirt, which is an exclusive TWLOHA shirt for university chapters all over the country. I am also doing photography and design work for our web store and social media, and assisting our editor with visual content compilation for our blog. I’m also learning to use customer relationship management tools via Salesforce. Every day is busy, and I love being a part of an organization where the work we do is genuinely helping people.”

How HPU helped you get there: “At HPU, I was a member and then president of our chapter of To Write Love on Her Arms. The opportunities we had to create events on campus, partner with other student groups, team up with the fantastic Office of Counseling Services, and share our message of help and hope with the student community really helped me to grow in my dedication to the cause and provided valuable experience that helped me achieve this internship. I am also so grateful to the amazing faculty of the School of Art & Design, who helped me create a professional and effective graphic design portfolio.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “A big part of my application for this internship was the photo essay “This I Believe” that I created in Professor Benita VanWinkle’s photography course. I wrote about what the mission of TWLOHA means to me and the importance of communication, and my photographs documented events from our chapter on campus. Professor VanWinkle’s passion and talent for photography are truly inspirational, and she was so encouraging and supportive through the entire application process.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment for me at HPU was during senior year when I had the opportunity to sit down with President Qubein and have a one-on-one conversation about the importance of mental health on college campuses. This conversation not only allowed me to share my passion for suicide prevention and the reduction of stigma surrounding mental illness, but also to talk about the wonderful resources we have on campus for students and to receive advice and encouragement from our president.”