Sophomore Presents Research at Physical Therapy Conference

HIGH POINT, N.C., Nov. 20, 2014 – High Point University sophomore Laura Santiago recently presented research on the diagnostic accuracy of various medical imaging services at the North Carolina Physical Therapy Association annual conference, held in Greensboro.

Santiago’s research seeks to advise clinicians and improve patient care by identifying which medical imaging technologies would be the best modes of diagnosing suspected lower extremity stress fractures – a helpful advance for athletes and non-athletes alike.

These findings are relevant for health service providers treating those with suspected stress fractures. Knowing which imaging modalities to use can help clinicians diagnose fractures earlier and more accurately, allowing them to deliver the best kind of treatment.

Santiago was the only undergraduate student to present at NCPTA this year. Noting the confidence she gained from sharing her research, Santiago also enjoyed the opportunity to meet with professors and other students from various physical therapy schools in the state.

“Being the only undergraduate student presenting at the conference made me feel very proud of all of the resources that HPU provides for their students, helping them to grow in their field through involvement as well as in the classroom,” says Santiago.

An exercise science major, Santiago worked closely with Dr. Alexis Wright, assistant professor in the physical therapy department at HPU, and conducted a portion of her research in the university’s innovative Human Biomechanics and Physiology Lab.

“This was my first research project and I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Dr. Wright,” Santiago says. “I consider Dr. Wright to be my mentor, and I look forward to working with her throughout the rest of my college career.”