HPU Welcomes Senior Writer Jeri Rowe

HIGH POINT, N.C., Dec. 17, 2014 – High Point University recently added Jeri Rowe to its staff as senior writer. He joins the Office of Communications after 28 years writing and editing for newspapers.

Rowe tells the university’s story through a variety of formats, including thematic books, short- and long-form stories and blogs. His work covers the university from the perspective of students, alumni, parents, benefactors and the community beyond campus.

“I see this job as a new adventure for me. It gives me a chance to use my skills in a different arena and capture both in print and in cyberspace the different viewpoints of High Point University,” Rowe says. “Over the past decade, HPU has turned into this incredibly dynamic place, and as a writer, that fascinates me. But for me, it’s not just the education students receive. It’s these life lessons they can absorb both in and out of the classroom that mold them into leaders and better human beings.”

Rowe comes to HPU after 25 years at the News & Record in Greensboro where he worked as a reporter, editor and columnist. Most recently as a columnist, Rowe chased stories throughout central North Carolina while writing about the people and places he says “showed us who we are and how we live.” He has won nearly 25 writing awards, including two national awards in 2014 from the Society of Feature Journalism for a portfolio of news columns and blog posts.

He attended the University of South Carolina, where he graduated with honors with degrees in journalism and international studies. He is a regular volunteer at his children’s schools and his church in Greensboro.