Class of 2015 Outcomes: Kevin Garrity Pursues Master of Divinity

With commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2015:

Name: Kevin Garrity

Hometown: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Major: Garrity will graduate with a B.A. in English on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Garrity will attend graduate school at the Wake Forest University School of Divinity to pursue a Master of Divinity. After graduating from WFU, Garrity will seek ordination and become a jail or prison chaplain. This summer, he will intern at the Guilford County Jail.

How HPU helped you get there: “The ‘modeling of values’ is a primary co-curricular focus at High Point University. I have learned the significance of one particular value — maintaining a diligent work ethic and a positive attitude on the job, even when the work is highly demanding — through the relationships I have developed with members of HPU’s Campus Enhancement team. I am confident that this modeled value will be one of the most, if not the most, useful values to bring along with me in my future career.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Sean Larsen has taught me how to identify the essential questions when working to solve problems, and equipped me with the skills to exercise an empathetic imagination.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My religion senior seminar. This course was more rigorous than any other class I had ever taken. During the process, it felt like I would not be able to meet the requirements. Looking back, however, I realize the experience profoundly improved my ability to think, research, and write.”

Advice for underclassmen: “I have found the third part of our University’s mission statement — that HPU is a community made up of ‘caring people,’ to be an accurate representation of the faculty’s investment in each student’s academic and personal success. My advice is to take advantage of this by developing personal relationships with professors… In my experience, when I expressed particular interest in the coursework, my professors’ willingness to assist me in pursing that interest was extraordinary.”