Class of 2015 Profile: Alex Ortowski Works at Johns Hopkins Hospital

Name: Alex Ortowski

Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland

Major: Ortowski graduated with a B.S. in Psychology on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Ortowski accepted a position as a Psychiatric Assistant at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. In her position, Ortowski helps with daily tasks for patients and groups.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU really helped me find myself. For a while, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do, but I was able to take classes and participate in my service fraternity and solidify that I really want to be able to help people. It gave me the ability to know what to do and how to get there. At High Point, I met some really fantastic people and have been inspired to do great things.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I’ve had some wonderful mentors at HPU! On the educational side, Dr. Leder Elder was amazing. I took many of her classes and did research with her. She really helped me enjoy learning and find what I really liked in psychology. On the career side, I had two fantastic bosses that taught me so much about work ethic and what to go after in the real world. I look up to both Denise Sealy in Admissions and Jon Sauter in Institutional Advancement – both of them have taught me so much.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment at HPU would definitely be getting initiated into my service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega. The students involved in this are fantastic and give back so much to the community. I was really glad to become a part in this.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Time management is such an important thing to have. I can’t stress that enough. Working hard in and out of the classroom will really pay off, as long as you know how to juggle everything!”