Class of 2015 Outcomes: Barrett South Leads at Target

With commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2015:

Name: Barrett South

Hometown: Sewickley, Pennsylvania

Major: South will graduate with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with a minor in Marketing, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: South accepted a position as an Executive Team Leader at Target in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area. Through the program, South will use her business administration knowledge to learn the ropes of the retail management industry. “I am lucky to begin this journey with such an amazing company like Target. I am hoping to use what I learn from this position to ultimately achieve my dream of starting my own business.”

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU provides students with a college experience unlike any other. Being able to experience learning both inside and outside of the classroom significantly shaped my outlook on life itself. Everything at HPU is in place for a reason and no small deed goes unnoticed. This is what I love about HPU. One friendly wave or hold of a door multiplies. It inspires the next person to return the favor to someone else. Making these tiny, yet impactful, adjustments to my every day routine add up to a more positive lifestyle; A lifestyle that encourages me to take on the unfamiliar world of adulthood with a warm smile and a determined attitude.

Career & Internship Services is an amazing resource HPU has to offer. I have worked closely with both Bridget Holcombe and Eric Melniczek throughout both my Junior and Senior years. I began seeking help with career basics such as LinkedIn and my resume. I eventually found myself in their offices on a weekly basis to discuss job and internship applications. Career & Internship Services was extremely helpful with forging networking relationships and preparing for interviews. I would encourage all students to take advantage their valuable services.”

Most impactful professor at HPU: “Thinking about the most impactful professor that I have had at HPU, one candidate immediately comes to mind: Professor Larry Quinn. I first met Professor Quinn at an interest session for the Selling Club last year. His outgoing and friendly demeanor immediately made me feel welcome to the club and persuaded me to take his Professional Sales Class the following semester. Throughout the class, he explained to me that with the correct selling strategy, persistence, and a shining personality I could close any difficult sale. Professor Quinn truly motivated me to step outside of my comfort zone.

I became so confident in my sales skills that I entered into the Sales Decathlon at Northern Illinois University with three other HPU Selling Club members. Professor Quinn became both our mentor and coach during our months of preparation. Throughout many late night study sessions, he shared his vast knowledge of marketing and sales. His dedication to our team helped us all place as finalists in the competition. Professor Quinn goes above and beyond for all of his students.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I would have to say that my most impactful moment at HPU is having the opportunity to take President Qubein’s Senior Seminar this semester. To both begin and end my college years in President’s Seminar has been extremely meaningful to me. As a freshman student, I listened to President Qubein’s lessons on how to succeed throughout my years at HPU. Three years later, the lectures center around the same core values but hold a new meaning when thinking about entering into the work force. Taking this class has allowed me to examine how much I have grown since freshman year and inspires me to use the same lessons to continue to prosper in the future.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Soak it in. Take advantage of everything that HPU has to offer while you still can. Over my four years, I have found that most impactful and memorable moments have come from the extra experiences HPU extends to its students. Whether it is a speaker event, on campus clubs, community service, or anything in between, the opportunities are endless. Putting in the extra effort can make a world of a difference and can distinguish a future employee from just another job applicant.”