Class of 2015 Outcomes: Marissa Pierre Manages Client Relationships

With commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2015:

Name: Marissa Pierre

Hometown: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Major: Pierre will graduate with a B.A. in Stratetgic Communication, with a minor in Marketing, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Pierre accepted a position as a Communications Manager at RLF Communications, a full-service strategic communications firm in Greensboro, North Carolina. In her position, Pierre will use the public relations and marketing skills she gained at HPU to ensure the success of clients such as The Phillips Foundation.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me by providing me with unlimited opportunities and resources, both in and outside of the classroom. I always felt surrounded by HPU’s ‘inspiring environment’ and was continuously motivated to succeed. Because I was in close proximity to reputable advertising agencies in Winston-Salem and Greensboro, I was able to acquire four internships during my time at HPU and gained valuable industry experience. I interned at Mullen, the Triad’s largest agency, and received credit toward my major through HPU’s Career and Internships Services.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Kellie McLeod, the career advisor for the School of Communication. Ms. McLeod has been one of my biggest supporters since sophomore year when I began coming to her office. She helped me identify what my best strengths were and always encouraged me to keep trying. I couldn’t have come this far without her guidance and support!”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “I am Vice President and co-founder of HPU’s Diversity Club, and a member of the Student Diversity Council. The Diversity Club has helped raise awareness of diversity on campus through numerous events and fundraisers, and was named Student Organization of the Year in 2014. The Student Diversity Council just finished hosting HPU’s first ever Diversity Week. It was amazing seeing so many people come out and support our vision of a culturally vibrant and accepting campus. Being of member of these two organizations has been the most impactful moment for me at HPU. It’s a great feeling knowing that I will leave behind a meaningful legacy that future students can benefit from.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of every single opportunity, even if its not always what you want to do. Network as much as possible and don’t be afraid to put yourself out there – remember that you are a brand and you must effectively market that brand. And don’t just focus on filling up space on your resume – if you are genuinely passionate about what you do, it will be reflected by your successes.”