Class of 2015 Outcomes: Matthew Burns Attends Law School

Name: Matthew Burns

Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio

Major: Burns graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with a minor in Sport Management, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Burns will attend law school at Howard University School of Law to pursue his goal of being an attorney and leader that fights for social justice.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has been monumental in providing me with the skills and knowledge that I need in order to be successful after graduation. From the liberal arts education to the multiple opportunities that I have been fortunate enough to have outside the classroom, HPU has been an integral part in my growth over the past four years.

The Career and Internship Services office has been extremely helpful to me during my time at High Point University. Over the past four years the office has given me valuable advice on networking, reviewed multiple cover letters and resumes, and prepared me for the interviews that I’ve had while at HPU. ”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “The most impactful moment at High Point University was the first annual Black Heritage Service that was sponsored by the HPU Diversity Club and Black Cultural Awareness. In the fall of 2012 I co-founded HPU Diversity Club, and through the club, we have been able to give back to the city of High Point, hold numerous events at High Point University that promote diversity awareness, such as the Black Heritage Service, and interact and learn from the talented students we have at this university. The Black Heritage Service was an amazing event that really sparked my interest for social justice and opened my eyes to a number of issues.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Build meaningful relationships with professors and peers, find what you’re passionate about, and then pursue that passion.”