Class of 2015 Outcomes: Stephen Lillie Trains for Fortune 500 Company

Name: Stephen Lillie

Hometown: Millbury, Massachusetts

Major: Lillie graduated with a B.A. in Stratetgic Communication, with a minor in Marketing, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Lillie accepted a position as a Merchandise Trainee at Dick’s Sporting Goods corporate headquarters, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The 12-month Merchandise Trainee development program focuses on buying and planning. “Throughout the 12 months I will be working with many departments that include: merchandise analysis, buying/planning/product development, supply chain and eCommerce. It’s one the few Fortune 500 development program in the country for corporate retail, so I am really excited about this opportunity!”

How HPU helped you get there: “I entered HPU as a shy, eager freshman and I am leaving High Point a confident, driven and outgoing young professional. I came to High Point to seek and education, but I’m leaving with a lot more than that. I took advantage of a lot of resources, such as the University Ambassador program, and it has led to where I am now. Due of the confidence that HPU instilled in me, I wasn’t intimidated applying to Fortune 500 companies. Not only have a landed a job with a Fortune 500 organization, but I am excited and confident that I will succeed in my position.

While I have been proactive on my own for my career search, Career & Internship Services has been a huge backbone. Through LinkedIn workshops and meeting one-on-one with career advisors to help polish my resume and cover letters, the department was extremely helpful. They’ve created many useful resources and have been great at connecting students with HPU alumni.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Professor Randy Moser has been my most impactful mentor at HPU. I had the opportunity to take his Marketing Management course last year as a junior, and took his Sales Leadership Class as a senior. Professor Moser brings a unique perspective into the classroom because he was in the marketing and sales industry for years before coming to HPU. He quickly gained my respect due to this eagerness to share his knowledge and contacts. I’ve met with him on several occasions to discuss my future and he has provided me with endless advice and has even reached out to many of his contacts on my behalf. Professor Moser is not only a great professor, but he is a great person. He easily relates to us students, and he has played a huge part in my success at HPU and throughout my transitions to the real world.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Narrowing down my most impactful moment at HPU wouldn’t not give my experience justice. I first think of my undergraduate research project, in which HPU sent myself and forty other students to the Democratic and Republican National Conventions. Most people in the industry can’t say they’ve done the things I’ve been able to do as an undergraduate student. Studying abroad in Rome, Italy also had a huge impact on me. The experience of living and learning abroad allowed me to gain a new international perspective, learn a new language, and meet new friends from all around the world. Last but not least, being a University Ambassador has been one of my most impactful moments at HPU. It’s so rewarding getting to share my HPU experience with prospective students each week. There is no better feeling than seeing students I had on tour around campus and joining the HPU community.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Be proactive! Use the resources High Point University provides and don’t be afraid to apply to your dream job, because you might just get it. Another piece of advice is to remind yourself you’re a college student. You’re still young so work hard, create awesome memories with friends, and take everything in. Four years go by so fast.”