Class of 2015 Outcomes: Taylor Lavender Gains Physician Assistant Experience

Name: Taylor Lavender

Hometown: Rock Hill, South Carolina

Major: Lavender graduated with a B.A. in Biology, with a minor in Spanish, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Lavender accepted a position with Carolina Blood and Cancer Care in Rock Hill, South Carolina. There, she will gain valuable experience in every aspect of the practice before attending Physician Assistant school in 2016.

How HPU helped you get there: “The Spanish and biology departments have been very supportive in helping me discover ways to combine my passions and dive into a future in medicine. Career and Internship Services helped me tremendously in revising my resume and cover letter. HPU also inspired me to be involved in the community, leading to my 3-year volunteer position in the ER at High Point Regional Hospital.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Dr. Kelli Sapp and Dr. Claudia Femenias have both been very valuable professors beyond the classroom. Dr. Sapp has been an incredible help with graduate school applications and assistance, Dr. Femenias has been very supportive in my pursuit of the Spanish language, and both have been incredible supporters of my future goals and the coordination of my medical volunteer trips to Central America.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “One of the most impactful moments for me was in a short conversation that I had with Mrs. Gail Tuttle about my idea for a project. Without a doubt, Mrs. Tuttle wanted to help me and believed in my cause, giving me the courage to pursue the idea with the knowledge that she believed in my vision. With this kickstart and the help of my family and many other organizations, I started my project entitled Protecting Tiny Toes and was able to deliver 236 pairs of shoes to children in medical clinics on my trip to Nicaragua. The project continued with Mrs. Tuttle’s support again, and we have a total of 487 pairs of shoes this year! I am not sure that I would have had the courage to pursue this vision without her belief in me and continual support.”

Advice for underclassmen: “When I graduated high school, my soccer coach gave me one piece of advice: Never say no to an opportunity. I still hold that close to my heart, and I am confident that I have made the very best of my college experience with this in mind – inspiring me to embrace opportunities as small as having lunch with someone new and blossoming into friendship to becoming a founding sister of Alpha Chi Omega, and the Campus Coordinator for my trips to Nicaragua. If an idea excites you, run after it with your whole heart and you will be amazed at what may come out of your hard work!”