Class of 2015 Profile: Zack Russell Continues Education in Athletic Training

With commencement just around the corner, High Point University seniors are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2015:

Name: Zack Russell

Hometown: Marietta, Georgia

Major: Russell will graduate with a certified degree in Athletic Training on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Russell will pursue a master’s degree in sport science, on the athletic training track, at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs. He will also serve as a graduate assistant at Colorado State University-Pueblo working with football, cross country and track & field, and serve as a volunteer athletic trainer at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. After he graduates from UCCS, Russell plans to serve as the athletic trainer for a professional cycling team or collegiate team.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University had a very fundamental hand in helping prepare me not only for graduate school, but also for the professional life. During my time at High Point University I had the opportunity to work in the Human Biomechanics and Physiology Lab, serve as a University Ambassador and Peer Mentor, serve as a student athletic trainer with numerous High Point University athletic teams, and experience a variety of classes that has changed my view of the world. I have had numerous teachers that have helped me succeed throughout my four years at HPU and opened my eyes to new concepts and ideas that I had never thought of before. They place their students ahead of themselves and truly want to help the students succeed in the their future.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at High Point University is my athletic training professor, Dr. Anh-Dung ‘Yum’ Nguyen. He came to High Point University during my sophomore year and had an immediate impact on me. He never stopped asking and caring about not only our academic lives, but also our personal lives. I have had the opportunity to perform undergraduate research with him in the Human Biomechanics and Physiology Lab. However, his greatest impact was in the classroom where he cared not only about my success as a clinical athletic trainer, but also the other students. No matter how busy he was he always found time to sit down with me and talk about anything. He ultimately has had the largest impact on developing me into a professional athletic trainer and was very influential in helping me determine the best decision as to where to attend graduate school. Dr. Nguyen can best be described as a teacher who always had the best interest of others in mind no matter what was going on in his life.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at High Point University was serving as a University Ambassador. I had always been a shy person and was not very outgoing, especially during my freshmen year. However, after joining to University Ambassador program I was able to blossom into a very outgoing and loving person. Through this program I made some of my closest friends that I will never forget after graduation. I learned how to professionally grow up and develop into a friendly and passionate individual.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of every opportunity that is afforded to you. Always look to get involved because you never know who you will meet. Pursue everything with passion and enthusiasm because you are never given a second chance to make a great impression. Most importantly, strive for your dreams and never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. I never thought I would be able to complete a half ironman and run a sub 3:00:00 marathon, but I never quit dreaming and gave it every ounce of everything I had.”