Dr. Stephanie Crofton Receives Ridenhour Award

HIGH POINT, N.C., May 13, 2015 – Dr. Stephanie Crofton, associate dean of the Phillips School of Business, recently received the Ridenhour Scholarly and Professional Achievement Award during the 2015 Commencement ceremony. The award recognizes a full-time faculty member for exemplary accomplishments in their research and creative endeavors.

Crofton joined HPU in 2001 with degrees from Converse College and Auburn University. Her areas of research have ranged widely from labor economics and economic history to the role of free enterprise. Specific topics of research have included exploring the labor impacts of the Great Plague in medieval England, estimating the impacts of minimum wages on dropout rates, estimating the impacts of social media on tourism activity, exploring private deposit insurance for U.S. credit unions and developing iPad apps to enable students to perform economic experiments in the classroom.

“I feel honored to have been awarded the Ridenhour Scholarly and Professional Achievement Award,” says Crofton. “It has meant so much to me to receive this recognition from my peers. I am proud to have used my research skills to teach my economics students how to perform economic and statistical research independently. They have gone on to succeed in graduate school and in their own professional lives.”

Crofton frequently presents her scholarship at regional and national conferences and also presents locally to service clubs and professional organizations. She is highly involved with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and serves as a team chair at numerous universities.

She has published in The Journal of Labor Research, The American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Essays in Economic and Business History, The International Journal of Business Research and The Journal of Tourism Research and Hospitality.