Rising Junior Receives Celia Moh Scholarship

HIGH POINT, N.C., May 19, 2015 – Meredith Matsakis, a rising junior at High Point University, was recently selected to receive the Celia Moh Scholarship for the upcoming academic year. The scholarship will pay for full tuition, room, board, books and fees. A committee composed of notable home furnishings industry executives selected Matsakis and two other students as 2015-2016 Celia Moh Scholars.

The Celia Moh Scholarship, established in October 2001 by furniture industry entrepreneur Laurence Moh with an initial gift of $3 million in honor of his wife, covers the educational costs for students whose academic endeavors would logically lead to careers in the home furnishings industry.

Matsakis, a visual merchandising design major, theatre performance minor and Asheville native, was selected for the scholarship based on her academic achievement in the field of home furnishings. She is the founding president of the International Interior Design Association at HPU and is a member of the Interiors and Home Furnishings Club. She has earned valuable experience at recent furniture markets in High Point while working as a showroom assistant to The Joe Ruggiero Collection, Miles Talbott and Capris Furniture. Matsakis also works as the trend stylist merchandiser for International Textile Market Association during Showtime Market.

This summer Matsakis is headed to New York City to work as a design intern to Nancy Fire, the founder and creative director of Design Works International as well as the design director for HGTV HOME.

“I am beyond thankful and humbled to have received the Celia Moh award. Growing up in a furniture family, my grandfather and mother always talked to me about home furnishings, and by the time I was ready to apply to my higher education I truly wanted to make an impact in the industry,” Matsakis says. “High Point University is effectively preparing me for my future in home furnishings by providing excellent facilities, faculty, connections and knowledge. Receiving this scholarship gives me the opportunity to more easily pursue my goals and continue the legacy of strong contributions to the design industry. It is my honor to join the previous winners who are creative, innovative, hardworking and visionary.”

Candidates for the scholarship complete an extensive questionnaire, write a personal essay, obtain instructors’ recommendations and provide a college transcript illustrating exceptional academic achievement. Throughout the program’s 14-year existence, 87 full scholarships have been awarded to students studying home furnishings and interior design.

“The Celia Moh Scholarship is very competitive, and HPU’s School of Art and Design is proud to add yet another award winner to its roster,” says Dr. John Turpin, dean of the School of Art and Design. “Meredith exemplifies the type of individual the committee is looking for. She is incredibly bright, dedicated and well situated to make a difference in the home furnishings industry.”

For more information about the Celia Moh Scholarship program, please visit http://www.mohscholarship.org.