Class of 2015 Profile: Andrea Baellow Confirms Her Future in Athletic Training

Name: Andrea Baellow

Hometown: Keswick, Virginia

Major: Baellow graduated with a degree in Athletic Training on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Baellow will attend graduate school at the University of Virginia to pursue a Master’s of Education in Kinesiology—Athletic Training. After she receives her master’s degree, Baellow plans to pursue her dream of becoming an athletic trainer for a college football team.

How HPU helped you get there: “High Point University has helped immensely by providing me vast clinical experience options, employing exceptional professors in the Athletic Training Department, and providing research experience. Having so many options for clinical rotations has definitely helped me hone in on which sports and settings are best for me. The professors in our department have been nothing less than supportive of my goals and willing to help as much as they can to help me reach them; not only by providing me with a strong educational foundation, but also by writing recommendations and giving their professional advice. And lastly, the research experience I’ve had here at High Point made my resume, and clinical skills, so competitive. Having authored or co-authored 11 scientific abstracts presented at national and international clinical symposia and co-authored 2 manuscripts that are currently under review in sports medicine related journals definitely made my resume stand out when I was applying to graduate school.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor has been Dr. Yum Nguyen. He brought me on board his research team my sophomore year and he luckily hasn’t gotten sick of me. He helped me build relationships with researchers at other universities such as University of North Florida, University of Connecticut and College of Charleston. He read each and every one of my abstracts, and helped prepare me for all 11 presentations. Without Dr. Nguyen my CV would be much less than the six pages it is now, and I would still be saying ‘like’ and ‘um’ throughout my presentations. I can’t thank Dr. Nguyen enough for the mentorship he has provided me throughout my time at HPU.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was being accepted to present my abstract at the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Clinical Symposia as a sophomore. I never thought that at 19 years old I would be presenting at a national symposia. Not only that, but I had been nominated as an Undergraduate Research Finalist for my work.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Take advantage of educational opportunities that are presented to you. If I had declined the opportunity to participate in undergraduate research my resume would blend in with the rest of the applicants. If you are actively seeking out opportunities you are bound to find one that could change your college experience for the better.”