Class of 2015 Outcomes: Josh Walston Launches Sales Career

Name: Josh Walston

Hometown: Statesville, North Carolina

Major: Walston graduated with a B.S.B.A. in Business Administration, with a minor in History, on May 9.

Post-graduation plans: Walston accepted a position as an Inside Sales Representative at VMWare, a software company that provides cloud and virtualization software and services in Austin, Texas.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU has helped me prepare for the future because no one ever told me I couldn’t do something. High Point University has given me the facilities and spaces to make my dreams a reality, but it has given me the people who tell me that there is nothing I can’t do, and they give me the literal tools to make it happen. For example, Professor Larry Quinn gave me the opportunity to attend the National Collegiate Sales Competition through a series of role plays spanning between January 15-March 5. This was a competitive job fair that landed me the Inside Sales Representative position with VMWare.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “I have had two impactful mentors at High Point University, Professors Phil Watson and Larry Quinn. Professor Watson was the first professor I had as a communication major who immediately saw my strengths and has encouraged me throughout my four years to use those to my benefit. Professor Watson introduced me to my next mentor, Larry Quinn. In short, Larry Quinn is the reason I am employed. In the long form, Larry Quinn is like a father to me who always has my best interests at heart. He has worked with me to hone my enthusiasm to focus on sales, specifically loving a product and building key relationships with customers so I become a trusted friend. He offers brilliant advice and loving council. He is someone who has directly prepared me for success. ”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was October of 2014 when I was able to speak to the faculty and staff of HPU about my medical journey and why my attitude is so positive. It was a transformative experience to stand in front of 600 people I admire so greatly and have gotten to know over 4 years and tell them why I love them. It was unbelievable.”

Advice for underclassmen: “‘Choose to be Extraordinary’ is not just a slogan; it is a statement asking ‘what you will you choose?’ Wear purple, embrace HPU, and love your college. In order to get the most out of HPU, participate actively in the school and have school spirit.”